Font Aid VI: Aster Affects
A collaborative typeface for Hurricane Sandy relief
The Society of Typographic Aficionados is organizing Font Aid VI: Aster Affects — a project uniting the typographic and design communities to raise funds for Red Cross relief efforts after the events of Hurricane Sandy.
The project theme will be represented in a typeface consisting entirely of asterisks.
Why the asterisk?
An asterisk can denote something that requires attention — and an event of this magnitude and impact certainly deserves some attention. The asterisk can also provide *emphasis* to important information amidst fields of plain text. The root of the word comes from the Greek astēr or “star” - signifying hope and light. In computer terms, it’s a wildcard character … and hurricanes are certainly wild and unpredictable.
Create a single glyph or symbol that is based on the asterisk.
- Artwork must be black and white
- Artwork must be supplied as vector outlines
- Artwork must sized to fit in a 10" x 10" square
- Download our handy Adobe Illustrator template
- Adobe Illustrator (.ai and .eps), Fontlab (.vfb), or UFO source files will be accepted
- Artwork containing any of the following will be rejected:
- Opened paths
- Stroked paths
- Patterned or textured fills
- Overly complex paths or outlines
- Embedded bitmaps or non-editable imagery
- Live or outlined text
- Glyphs copied from existing typefaces
- Remember, simple is often better
- One glyph per person may be submitted
Send the following to by Sunday, November 18th, 2012
- Final vector artwork file
- A short description of your glyph
- Your name (as you like it to appear on the project page)
- Your country
The final typeface will be distributed exclusively by the Society of Typographic Aficionados under our standard End User License Agreement.
Spread the word!
Whether you choose to participate or not, please help us tell others about the project.
We have prepared a series of Font Aid banners in several sizes for promoting this project. If you use one of these banners, all we ask is that you link back to the main Font Aid page. Thanks for your support.
Font Aid is a charitable endeavor. We wish to ensure that we provide the maximum support possible to the people and organization that need it. Any work submitted to a Font Aid project will be deemed a charitable gift and a work made for hire. Whenever possible, we are happy to credit the creativity of the participating designers.