Font Aid VII: Here Comes The Sun
A collaborative typeface for Typhoon Haiyan relief
The Society of Typographic Aficionados is organizing Font Aid VII — a project uniting the typographic and design communities to raise funds for Philippine Red Cross relief efforts after the events of Typhoon Haiyan.
The project will create a typeface consisting of images based on the eight-rayed sun from the Philippine flag.
Why the sun?
One of the most distinguishing components of the Philippine flag is the golden, radiating sun. For the Philippine people, it embodies their unity, freedom, democracy, and sovereignty — each ray of the sun representing one of the eight provinces involved in the country’s 1896 revolution against Spain. More commonly, the sun also symbolizes hope, light, the universal spirit, rebirth, and the beginning of a brand new day.
Create a single glyph or symbol that is based on the eight-rayed sun.
- Artwork must be black and white
- Artwork must be supplied as vector outlines
- Artwork must sized to fit in a 10" x 10" square
- Download our handy Adobe Illustrator template
- Adobe Illustrator (.ai and .eps), Fontlab (.vfb), or UFO source files will be accepted
- Important! Artwork containing any of the following will be rejected:
- Opened paths
- Stroked paths
- Patterned or textured fills
- Overly complex paths or outlines
- Embedded bitmaps or non-editable imagery
- Live or outlined text
- Glyphs copied from existing typefaces
- Remember, simple is often better
- One glyph per person may be submitted
Send the following to by Sunday, December 1st, 2013
- Final vector artwork file
- A short description of your glyph
- Your name (as you like it to appear on the project page)
- Your country
The final typeface will be distributed exclusively by the Society of Typographic Aficionados under our standard End User License Agreement.
Spread the word!
Whether you choose to participate or not, please help us tell others about the project.
We have prepared a series of Font Aid banners in several sizes for promoting this project. If you use one of these banners, all we ask is that you link back to the main Font Aid page. Thanks for your support.
Font Aid is a charitable endeavor. We wish to ensure that we provide the maximum support possible to the people and organization that need it. Any work submitted to a Font Aid project will be deemed a charitable gift and a work made for hire. Whenever possible, we are happy to credit the creativity of the participating designers.